Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'm Gonna Miss This...

Do you ever have a moment where you hear or read something and could swear you had just been thinking the very same thing?  The strangest and most wonderful example of that happened to me tonight. 

Most nights, Brynn is carried or walks into her bedroom at bedtime.  She's either so tired that a kiss and squeeze is all it takes, or maybe a book or two in the rocking chair.  Tonight, for whatever reason (or teeth perhaps!) she needed to be rocked....and rocked again...and rocked again after crying for several minutes!  Each time I went in to relieve her tears, I rocked with her in the chair and thought to myself...how incredibly lucky am I that this little person (who is quickly growing and developing quite the personality) needs my lap to sit in and my fingers to run through her freshly washed curls?  I can't imagine being any luckier that I was chosen to be her mommy and get to rock her and comfort her on the nights when she'd rather fall asleep in my lap than on her own (which, don't get me wrong, I am very thankful she's able to do!). 

As I sat and rocked Brynn tonight, I also thougth about her little sister, Molly.  This tiny human has only been in our world for 3 1/2 months and yet she stretches her neck and head to meet my eyes when she hears my voice in the room....what a miracle! 

Then I began to think about the nights when I kiss the girls goodnight, put Brynn to bed after reading one less book than usual, or put Molly in her swing so that I can get some things done around the house.  How sad to think that these opportunities will one day (sooner than later) not be available to Kevin and I anymore.  One day (sooner than later) our babies will be little girls who would rather snuggle their stuffed animals and read their chapter books than snuggle and read in our laps.  Brings tears to my eyes to think about it! 

I thought about how lucky I am to have every moment with my babies and how some day, I'm going to miss this...



The ironic part about tonight happened when I sat down at the computer, both girls sleeping, and came upon a new blog I plan to follow....a fellow mommy.  A recent post she had on her blog was titled "I'm Gonna Miss This..." and hit me like a ton of bricks!
http://www.mycharmingkids.net/2010/01/im-gonna-miss-this.html

1 comment:

  1. You are such a wonderful mom! Thanks for always reminding me about the little things...

    ReplyDelete